IN THE ATTECHED FILE THE PLAN IS COMPLETELY FULL WITH ALL THE PICTURES TO USE / У ФАЙЛІ ДЛЯ ЗАВАНТАЖЕННЯ ПОВНА ВЕРСІЯ З УСІМА ЕТАПАМИ, ЧАСОМ НА ВИКОНАННЯ ТА КАРТИНКАМИ
|Teacher:||Gennadii Bilous||Lesson focus: Reading, speaking|
|Lesson #||Doesn’t matter||Lesson Aim:|
|Age/Number of Students:||Teenagers/up to 15-16|| |
|Materials:||Textbook (handouts)|| |
- In pairs/groups look at the photos, which I’ll show one by one, and try to work out the puzzle of what we are going to talk with you today about. If you name all the pictures correctly, you’ll be able to guess the topic. (Elicit/teach: theatre/opera, bay, ship with sails, kangaroo in Australia)
(Find the power point slide with the photos attached to the lesson)
- In groups remember everything you know about Australia.
!!!Pre-teach blocking vocabulary before reading
- Read the text about Sydney Opera House quickly (2 mins) ignoring the gaps and find what the numbers below stand for.
!!! Elicit/teach the strategy of accomplishing a task like sentence gap fill: it’s essential to look at the sentence before and after the gap, looking for grammar and vocabulary linkers – pronouns, singular/plural and noun/verb agreements, etc.
- Now read the text again more thoroughly this time and fill the sentences into the gaps. Underline the parts of the text and missing sentences that help you to decide on the answer.
- Check your answers in pairs.
- In pairs, you are going to receive a ‘Hawaiian skirt’ with the history of Sydney Opera House. You have to tear it in parts and put the events into the chronological order.
(almost completely cut into separate stripes)
|The feature that was essential for the whole place to look alive.|
|The media commercial helped to find the “father” of the future symbol of the region.|
|The decision that changed the destiny of a lot of people and led to cultural development of the region.|
|The royal person who became a part of the history of a new artistic heritage.|
|The whole world contest for the best project to be turned to life.|
The teacher divides students in groups of 3-4 (depends on the number of students in class) and appoints a different part of the text to each one.
- In your groups you have to remember as much as possible from your part in 2 minutes. You may take some notes (key words), filling them into this table next to the number of the part you are working with.
(3 lines for 3 groups)
The teacher regroups students so that in a new group there is minimum one representative of each of the previous groups.
- Now, using only your memory and notes, you have to share with your new group mates information from your part. Everybody should listen and fill empty lines next to the part you are listening to. At the end you are going to have the whole text in your tables.
- In your groups you choose one representative who is going to retell briefly the whole text. Other groups listen and check if the information presented is correct.
Final teacher’s summary + homework