IN THE ATTECHED FILE THE PLAN IS COMPLETELY FULL WITH ALL THE PICTURES TO USE / У ФАЙЛІ ДЛЯ ЗАВАНТАЖЕННЯ ПОВНА ВЕРСІЯ З УСІМА ЕТАПАМИ, ЧАСОМ НА ВИКОНАННЯ ТА КАРТИНКАМИ
|Teacher:||Gennadii Bilous||Lesson focus: Speaking, listening|
|Lesson #||Closer to the end of the topic ‘Art’||Lesson Aim:|
|Age/Number of Students:||Teenagers/up to 15-16|| |
|Materials:||Textbook (handouts), a stereo, photos of modern art|| |
- In pairs have a look at the photos and name the kinds of art that they show.
- Now have a look at these photos and name the kinds of art they represent.
- What’s the difference between them? (classic/modern)
- In pairs, discuss briefly which type, classic or modern, you like more and why. Be ready to talk about your partner.
- So guess, what type of art do you think we are going to talk with you today about? (modern art)
- Have a look at the photo and say what kind of art the painting is and if you like it or not.
!!! Pre-teach any blocking vocabulary before listening
- Listen to the dialogue. Why does Lucy dislike the picture? (find the audio attached to this lesson)
- In pairs, study the key phrases. Who says them?
- Listen, check and work out the meaning from the context.
- In pairs, look at the words in blue in the dialogue. What do they mean? (express doubt)
- Now individually complete the mini-dialogue with look, look like or look as if.
(to visualize the dialogue)
- Check in pairs.
- Look at the photos of Compression (Cesar), The Scream (Munch) and the words in blue in the previous exercise. How the words in blue can be changed?
!!! The teacher puts ALL IDEAS of students on the board for further visual support in the form of a structure:
|Names||James, Darina, Bogdan…..|
|Kinds of art||Sculpture, drawing…..|
|Expressions of doubt||…..|
- Now practice the mini-dialogue in pairs replacing the words in blue with new ideas.
- So let’s again remind ourselves of the useful phrases and key vocabulary for describing art and expressing doubt.
!!! The teacher elicits from the students and puts the key vocabulary of the lesson on the board for further visual support.
! The teacher hangs some photos with modern art around the class.
- Imagine yourself at the gallery of modern art. In pairs, go around the exhibits, discussing if you like them or not, expressing doubt, thinking about meaning, giving your reasons. Choose the one that you like.
(! The teacher goes around the class, monitoring, feeding ideas if necessary, helping with vocabulary, noting down any mistakes made)
The teacher gives feedback on the topic covered during the lesson by the students.
The teacher puts some common mistakes made while speaking on board and students try to correct them.